Saturday, August 20, 2011

America, Peace Calls to Thee!

America, peace calls to thee!
As the winds softly blow
The wind chimes call to me
When the birds sing
Their songs call to me

A majestic cardinal alights my trees
Virginia calls to me
I sense her waters beneath my feet
Virginia calls to me

In this crisp summer morn
For peace I  am more than grateful
All our fallen heroes I mourn
For all our injured, maimed, forgotten I cry

I hear America's thunderous jets fly by
I am by their power transformed, transfixed
I am by freedom's elegance renewed
Freedom calls to me

America, freedom takes its heavy toll
Here and in foreign lands
Someone traditionally, sadly takes roll call
For America will again and again takes her stand

We hear, we feel a forlorn bugle call
Courage must by all be worn
America will weather all man made or political storm
Liberty for all, must be our resounding call
America shall never be broken!
I still believe

We need not don a soldier's medals
Or wear his stripes
Or march in victorious parades
Simply bow down our heads
For our forgotten heroes...our dead

America, God has blessed thee
America, peace calls to thee!
I still believe

1 comment:

  1. I wrote this in honor of one of my heroes, Martin Luther King. He wrote and spoke so eloquently of man's yearning and struggle for peace, not only for the citizens of this country but for the world.

    ReplyDelete